Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Food Writing, Where There’s No Wrong Answer



So much for that once a day writing for my personal blog - alas, time waits for no one and I have been working on a major project: I’m profiling some of the best bartenders in San Francisco, from bars to four-star restaurants to casual dining spots. It’s interesting to hear them talk about their craft, the passion they have and to observe their daily interactions with customers. So it’s been a bunch of late nights trying cocktails, from some of the new-fangled creations to drinks that kicked my ass after a few sips (yes I’m talking to you Valen!). My first article features Corey Harrison of Quince, coming soon.


In the year+ I’ve been writing for SF Station, one of my favorites aspects has been that in food writing, you’re never wrong. What I mean by that is that food writing is based mainly on opinion. If you are a food critic, it is your job to paint an accurate picture of what diners are to expect at a restaurant. But in the end, you are giving your opinion based on your experiences at that establishment. Same goes with other topical articles. You write about foie gras, it is largely opinion-based, you write about poor service in restaurants, again it is your opinion. There is really no worries as a writer as long as you are steadfast in your convictions.
Cocktail at Seasons Bar and Lounge
But there are traps that writers can fall into, some that I am still learning to deal with. I have been fortunate to meet a lot of really great people in both the restaurant and PR industries. Honestly, 99.9% of the people I have interacted with have been more than helpful, down-to-earth and really friendly. Sure, it helps that they know I am writing something about them and they don’t want to come across as an asshole. But honestly, I think most of them are people you could go out for a drink and hang out with. The problem: writing a bad or mediocre review about their place of business. I still haven’t learned that craft yet. But I have also been pretty fortunate to not really have to do it yet either. I’d say that despite eating at a number of new restaurants over the past year, most have been pretty good or great. Time will tell if I pick up that art of writing a mediocre review, but not killing a place at the same time. Because in reality as a writer, all you want is to give your readers an honest opinion of a restaurant, good or bad. That goes to another problem - the comped meal. No my meals and drinks are not always freebies. I pay out of pocket for most dinners and have no problem with that. The few times that I usually get a free pass are to openings and parties. I have absolutely no problem with paying for my meals. One day, I’d love to have my company take care of that for me but in all honesty, I feel that since I am paying my hard-earned money each time I go out, I can give a truly honest opinion about the value of a meal comparative to its cost. Would I love to have all my meals paid for plus get paid for writing? Sure that would be great. But I think the way I am doing things now is a fresh and honest approach to food writing that isn’t always seen these days.
Star Chefs & Vintners Gala - Glitz and Glamour
I love writing about food and exploring different avenues, but I also know that I am still, trying to hone my skills. My journalistic side is definitely creeping into my food writing as I am looking deeper and deeper for stories that matter and issues that people care about. I am hoping to do more on food safety this year, urban gardens and focus a bit more on smaller businesses as well. But all in due time. Now it’s off to drink the month away!

1 comment:

  1. Keith, I stumbled upon your blog via SF Station. I love that you are going to be profiling some of the best bartenders in San Francisco (on my list of things to do/experience!). I would love to join you on any of those outings. Please let me know if you need/would like company. If so, how could I reach you to set something up? Cheers, Jaye

    ReplyDelete