Thursday, April 12, 2012

Where Have I Been??

Sorry I haven’t had a blog post in over a year. It doesn’t mean I haven’t stopped eating out or lost my love of writing; in fact, I got a job as a food writer for SF Station and over the last year, have posted more than 300 articles (you can find them all here), some restaurant reviews, some news, some more in-depth pieces. I’ve also covered some really interesting events and met some amazing chefs, owners and people in the culinary industry. But it’s time to get back to my personal blog. I hope to post once a day on where I’ve eaten recently, food news of interest or just general food musings. Some will rehash the stories and people I have covered, only with a few more details. I will try to keep it as fresh as possible.

When I tell people what I do or talk to friends and family about my food writing job, they all ask me how much fun I must be having. But in all honesty, the job is not as easy as it seems. Food writing doesn’t pay a whole lot unless you have a huge name and gig with one of the major publications. As weird as it sounds, going out to eat a lot can be really difficult. And especially so when you have another job. There are nights where I just want to go home and chill but many times, I am out to eat, going to an event or doing research. If this sounds like complaining, I’m not at all. I love writing and I love writing about food and have had the good fortune to talk to some truly amazing culinary minds. The Bay Area is filled with so many talented chefs that it is an honor to talk to each and every one of them. Some of them are quiet and reserved; others are loud and opinionated. But the one thing is they can all cook a hell of a lot better than I can.
Stand up seats
First up this week is an amazing dinner I had on Tuesday at State Bird Provisions. Located right next to the Fillmore, the small restaurant from the husband and wife team of Stuart Brioza and Nicole Krasinski has opened up to amazing reviews. Opening on New Year’s Eve, diners are treated to a truly unique and wonderful experience. The restaurant focuses on mainly small plates. As the kitchen prepares the plates, servers get carts and trays out and present each dish in the manner you might find at a dim sum restaurant. So instead of picking items off a menu, diners pick them as they are brought out. I sampled a number of dishes and truly marveled at each and every one of them. My favorites of the lot: the duck liver mousse with almond biscuit was absolutely sublime. The mousse was perfectly prepared with just such an amazing taste. Brioza said it was a dish that has traveled with him from his time in Michigan to Rubicon and now, at State Bird Provisions. The ‘green garlic bread’ with burrata cheese is also a huge winner. The garlic bread is unlike any I have ever had and who doesn’t love burrata! Among the mains, I had to try the namesake state bird with provisions. The quail was prepared perfectly and the provisions, a bed of onions cooked in lemon juice, matched perfectly with it. Krasinki’s dessert menu was filled with wonderful treats as well from the unique ‘world peace‘ peanut muscovado milk, tapioca and beignets and an ice cream sandwich. Honestly, if I had an extra stomach or two, I would have tried the entire menu because it all looked and sounded so wonderful (although I got through plenty of dishes). The great thing about the entire menu is that the flavor of some dishes just really jumped off the plate and grabbed my attention, while others were much more subtle in taste.
Green garlic bread (Photo Credit: State Bird Provisions)

While State Bird Provisions has plenty of fine dining qualities in the types of ingredients they use, the quality of the dishes and the pedigree of the chefs, there is a fun and adventurous side that is rarely seen in San Francisco restaurants. The cart service and pegboard interior is just part of the uniqueness. I love the idea behind the four-person, stand-up dining area in front of the kitchen. Brioza said it offers diners a chance to see what is going on in the kitchen and also, offers him a chance to talk face-to-face with customers as he serves them dinner.
Cart service (Photo credit: State Bird Provisions)
I have never seen a restaurant quite like State Bird Provisions. The food and service is wonderful and the design and concept are both so imaginative. I will be back to try that other half of the menu that I missed.

State Bird Provisions is located at 1529 Fillmore Street. The restaurant is open for dinner Monday-Thursday from 6-10, Friday-Saturday from 5:30-11:00 and for Sunday brunch from 11-2:30. Dishes are all priced $20 and under with most under $10 each. There is also a wine and beer list. Reservations are highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment